If we'd bothered to actually read the article, instead of just making the list, we might have noticed that a large part of what makes the burger is the bun. Since we must eat gluten free, and gluten-free hamburger buns were a rarity anywhere in 2006, we had to eat ours without the bun, and we missed half the experience.
Hence, my quest to identify hamburgers you must eat, served by a restaurant on a gluten free bun. Yeah, we can't eat gluten, Yeah, we want to eat our burger on a bun just like you do. Yeah, gluten-free buns are readily available. Yeah, lettuce wraps and corn tortillas do not cut it.
This is a list of restaurants purported to serve a decent burger on a gluten-free bun. We have not eaten at many of them, so now that we've identified a few, we can start checking them out. If you know anything about them, or have an opinion, or know of some that are not in our list, please comment. There is a list of resources at the bottom. I had these criteria for whether or not to list:
- They must list the GF bun option on their online menu.
- It is not enough to just be listed on some GF web site.
- They must not have bad reviews on any GF web site or any review web site.
We have visited these1. Smashburger - 300 locations
Our current favorite. A really soft GF bun. Helpful servers. And they have sweet potato fries cooked using a dedicated frier. Good shakes too. It's like fast food, not much ambience.
2. Red Robin - 500 locations
We only had a bad experience once, when they didn't really know how to cook the bun. And they tend to seat us in the bar, when we'd rather watch the children in the larger area. Their sweet potato fries are bottomless but they aren't as crisp as Smashburger's. Our favorites are the bacon guacamole burger and the DBG (with garlic aioli).
3. The Counter Burger - 40 locations, mostly in California
We ate here only once. It was good. We weren't impressed enough to visit again, when there are other places closer.
4. Koa's Seaside Grill - Lahaina, Maui
Many restaurants on Kauai and Maui will work with your gluten allergy. We just asked. The buns aren't on the menu, but they have them. (An exception to the rule.)
We visited these before they had GF buns5. Gott's Roadside - St. Helena, San Francisco, Napa, Palo Alto
We visited the one in St. Helena when it was known as Taylor's Refresher. It was a lot of fun. The food was all huge. Everyone sits at long tables while the children play on the lawn. Don't know anything about their GF buns.
6. Santa Fe Bite - Santa Fe, NM
This one is owned by the owners of the Bobcat Bite, which closed. Bobcat was one of GQ's 20. Their burger was ok, but the small restaurant made it difficult. They are in a larger location now. Here is a recent review.
These locations are near us in California
- Armadillo Willy's - 8 locations in the bay area
- Scramblz - San Jose (we've eaten breakfast but not the burger)
- Farm Burger - Berkeley, San Anselmo, North Carolina, and Georgia
- Kronnerburger - Oakland
- Fast Food Francais - Sausalito
- Saturn Cafe - Berkeley
- Bernal Star - San Francisco
- BurgerMeister - Daly City, Alameda, San Francisco, Berkeley
- Mona's Burgers - Walnut Creek
- Shoreline Coffee Shop - Mill Valley
- Moss Beach Distillery - Moss Beach
- Burger Lounge - 20 locations in Los Angeles and San Diego
OK, still on the west coast, at least
- Blue Moon Burgers - Seattle
- Cheeseburger Nation - Las Vegas, 4 on Oahu, 3 on Maui (we saw the one in Lahaina but we did not eat there)
At least some locations west of the Mississippi?
- Burger 21 - 20 locations mostly in Florida and Georgia, but also TX, IL, MI, PA, NY, VA, NC, NJ
- Cheeseburger in Paradise - FL, SC, VA, MD, NJ, IN, NE
- Guru Burgers and Crepes - Sugar Land, Texas
- Cafe Abiquiu - Abiquiu, NM
The east coast or somewhere else far away
- The Nomad Hotel - New York
- The Little Beet Table - New York
- Vinsetta Garage - Berkley, Michigan
- Bareburger - 25 locations, mostly in NY and NJ
- B Good - 27 locations around Boston
- Four Burgers - Cambridge, MA
- Dakota Blue - Atlanta
- Sprig Restaurant - Decatur, GA
- South City Kitchen - 2 locations in Atlanta
- Yeah Burger - 2 locations in Atlanta