Thursday, May 12, 2005

A Shocking Experience

We had an interesting tip at Silver State in Reno last weekend. We took an hour out of round dancing to dance in the A2 hall. We were right in the front. Bronc Wise was calling. We were dancing with Wayne and Donna and two other couples we did not know.

The floor was some kind of rubber material. Mary and I were wearing our round dance shoes. (Since the entire hotel is carpeted, it was easy to put on dance shoes in the room, then go anywhere we wanted, including the restaurants.)

Anyway, I found that we were getting shocks from each other while we square danced. Or more accurately, everyone was getting shocks from me (and from whoever I had most recently touched). Figuring that the round dance shoes were a problem, I took them off. One at a time. While Bronc was calling and we were dancing. 

It didn't help. It made things worse. We almost started dancing "no hands." I figured the socks were the problem. So I took them off. Again while dancing. Bronc never missed a beat and neither did our square, but I was rushing to catch up for a few calls.

Now things were impossible! The shocks were the worst! What could I do? We were all laughing and screaming at the same time. No one wanted to touch me. Now the hard part. I decided to put the shoes back on, but there was no time to put on the socks first. I got one shoe on, still dancing, carrying the other shoe with me. I couldn't get it on. Dancing with one shoe on, one shoe half on, both laces untied.

But this solved the problem ... no more shocks. Don't ask me to explain why. Polyester socks, maybe?

I guess it wasn't that bad. One of the couples had so much fun they got in our next square ... which wasn't nearly as exciting, but still fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment