Thursday, May 12, 2005

Progress Report

I saw the surgeon again the last week of April. At our February appointment, he noticed signs of bone loss. Now he says things look much better and he's no longer worried. He says I can take up just about any exercise except jogging.

(Apparently I misheard him in February when I thought he said jogging would be good. Mary correctly remembered that he had specifically ruled out jogging then, as he did again in April.)

He especially suggested that I get back on my bicycle, or continue to use the stationary bicycle. He also says that just about anything at the gym is OK, as long as I take time to warm up first.

Mary and I attended the Silver State dancing festival in Reno on May 7. This was the first time we tried to round dance. Our rationale was that if I was unable to round dance, we could still square dance. I did not have any problems with my hip. The only problem we had was a lack of stamina. We slept in Sunday and came home instead of dancing the final sessions.

I went to the gym on May 5. I started with the treadmill, like usual, but I also did the 360s (walking sideways and backwards) like we did in physical therapy. Also some stationary bicycle. I was unable to do the stairmaster, again due to lack of stamina. This is always a problem when I start exercising again after a hiatus.

I was able to do lots of weight machines but I started really low. Also, the physical therapist suggested that I do about 50% more reps with the bad leg; in practice I did alternating sets of both legs together, then just the left leg, for five sets total instead of the usual three.

We hope to start dancing again soon with a class to build up our stamina. We hope to spend a week at McCloud, possibly in June but probably in August.



No comments:

Post a Comment